Tips for Creating Custom Reports With Quickbooks
Why would you want to customize reports with Quickbooks? A couple of reasons come to mind. If you are planning to create several different kinds of reports, customizing defines them, making it easier to distinguish one from another. This also makes sorting reports simpler. If the reports are to be shared with significant people, such as customers, senior staff or investors, you can deliver a polished, professional looking report that is easier for them to read and understand. Here are some tips to create customized reports with Quickbooks, using a Profit and Loss report as an example:
- On the Home Screen’s left hand sidebar menu, select Reports tab.
- Under Recommended Reports heading, select Profit and Loss.
- The Profit and Loss Report page will load. Select Customize button.
- Customize Profit and Loss window will appear with options. Note that you can experiment with these different options without commitment. As long as you don’t save your experiments, the original report remains the same. We will continue this example customizing the report by month.
- On left-hand options menu, select Rows/Columns. A parameters option window will appear. In Columns drop-down menu, select Months.
- Navigate to left hand options menu and select Header/Footer. In parameter option screen enter new title in window, such as “Profit and Loss by Month for ABC Plumbing”. Then select Run Report to preview your customized report. It hasn’t been saved yet, so you can still make changes if necessary.
- Once you are satisfied with your report, on the Run Report preview screen, select Save Customizations.
- A Save Report Customizations window will appear. Check box “Add this report to a group”. In drop-down menu select the group, such as Management Reports. Click OK.
- A New Report Group window will appear and prompt you to save your custom report in the group you selected. Click Save.
- Custom reports are easy to retrieve. Navigate to your Quickbooks home page and select Reports in the left-hand sidebar menu. An options window will appear. Select My Custom Reports and click on the report you want.
It is easy to customize Sales Reports, Statement of Activity, or any other report. It’s even possible to change fonts and point sizes, making it easier to display numbers and fractions. As you experiment, your best friend is the Revert button. It will undo your changes. And, when in doubt, a trusted accountant can always assist with more helpful tips for using Quickbooks.
Contact us for bookkeeping and accounting needs! 256.705.3585